Most everything you touch today has some relationship to Thomas Edison.
Before Edison’s death, he held 2,332 patents worldwide with 1,093 of those held in the U.S. The patents are responsible for items that use electricity as well as the concrete that holds together commercial buildings.
However, the most important thing Edison accomplished was becoming the father of modern corporate research and development. Many mistakenly think Edison was a better innovator than businessmen, however, this man created an empire and was a marketing genius. His wealth amassed $200 million (today’s dollars), and more importantly, he changed the world.
Edison’s lab dubbed “factory of invention” has since become a national park and is inspiring future innovators each day in Orange, New Jersey.
While homeschooling her son, Nancy Elliot Edison, taught her son four simple principles in which he operated on:
1. Never get discouraged if you fail. Learn from it. Keep trying.
2. Learn with both your hands and head.
3. Not everything of value comes from books. Go out and experience the world.
4. Never stop learning.
With those words of wisdom in mind here are 12 Thomas Edison quotes that will fuel your passion for creativity and innovation.
1. “What you are will show in what you do.”
2. “There is no substitute for hard work.”
3. “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.
4. “Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.”
5. “Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits.”
6. “I never did anything by accident, nor did any of my inventions come by accident; they came by work.”
7. “Hell, there are no rules here – we’re trying to accomplish something.”
8. “There’s a way to do it better – find it.”
9. “Anything that won’t sell, I don’t want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.”
10. “I start where the last man left off.”
11. “If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves.”
12. “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”
Show the world your passion for innovation, by submitting for a 2018 Edison Award. Nominations open soon. For more information visit EdisonAwards.com
Latest posts by Mellissa Hopkins (see all)
- EA Seal Star of the Month: Qualite Sports Lighting - August 3, 2017
- What can the Edison Awards Seal accomplish? - July 24, 2017
- 5 Innovative Ways Companies are Using Ocean Plastic - June 27, 2017